View Single Post
Old 12-02-19, 08:11 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
I took all the stuff I usually take off my bike when I get to work (headlight, seat bag, cyclocomputer, water bottle, etc.) back down and put it back on my bike this afternoon. That saves about 10 minutes right there, not having to re-attach everything. As far as security, yes, the studs are just drilled into the concrete and the equipment is bolted to it, but anyone who wanted to do that would likely make a racket and draw attention. That said, even though there is a plexiglass shield over the slats around the door, it wouldn't be hard to slip a coat hanger in and pull the inside handle down and open it. On the other hand, the room is right next to the executive parking area, which has a camera on it, and the door to the bike room has a camera on it, and there's another in the walkway to it, and building security monitors them. Plus it's a decent neighborhood so I'm not too concerned. If there were just an electrical outlet, I could leave my headlight down there to charge for the ride home, but I'm not complaining.

As for which rack I like best, for now, it's the wishbone. My bike leans up against it easily, I don't have to lift it, and my Kryptonite lock slips right through it and I'm good to go. The hanging racks are easy to use, especially if I rode my Tarmac, which is much easier to lift. The double-deckers are OK, but my bike's too big to fit in the top one, the bottom one would be fine, but for now, I'll stick with the wishbones.

We used to have a gym with showers in this building when I worked there for my former employer (long story, but they moved and I got a job with another tenant in the same building), but it closed, so as a courtesy to my co-workers, I don't do the 15.5-mile ride in anymore (so as not to walk around sweaty and smelly all day). I can take a train to within 6 miles of work (no sweat involved in that ride, especially this time of year) and then ride the 15.5 home after work (the absolute highlight of my day, even in L.A. traffic).

There's one other guy in the building who rides regularly (more regularly than I can) but he wasn't there today, but I bet he'll sign up once he sees that they ripped out the old bike rack. He and I are the only two who ride to work, I've seen one bike there besides ours, but only once.

I wish my garage looked as nice as this room does.
Likes For giffenf: