View Single Post
Old 03-12-13, 12:45 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The area I grew up in was basically un-walkable. No sidewalks, no crosswalks, no signal buttons. I often wonder what previous generations were thinking when they purchased homes in suburbs like this. I know my parents had good intentions (good schools, safe neighborhood) but I feel like many in my generation missed out on the quality of life you get by living in a real community with real neighbors. Elders are so quick to blame it on video games, but what were the alternatives? There was nowhere to go outside and no old growth trees to hang out under. I'm not passing any blame, just pointing out an often overlooked (and somewhat taboo) situation of our American culture history. No one wants to admit "we unintentionally did the wrong thing", but I think many people are aware of it. Now it seems like its become a cycle we can't get out of. Much of the "new urbanism" movement is based on the philosophy of building older style, pre-automobile, neighborhoods, but also forcing the auto into the equation. It's hard to do. Some of it works, often it doesn't.

It wasn't until I was an adult and moved to the city that I started walking and learned how to use public transportation. When I do move back to the city I grew up in, I will be looking for a house in an older, walkable, neighborhood. I dont want to waste square footage on a garage and i certainly dont want a garage door as the prominent architectural feature of my house. Sadly, there is a very limited stock of this type of houseing and its become very expensive.