Old 09-30-19, 12:55 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
given the same alloy, same weight of two tubes of the same length - one has a thinner wall and the other has a smaller diameter:

the rigidity of the larger diameter (that has a thinner wall) is larger than the other by (D/d)^2.
twice the diameter means 4x the rigidity. it translates to harshness and imposes larger tires.

but the strength is only by (D/d). twice the diameter means 2x the strength.

very large diameter tubes is affordable by aluminum alloys because it does not have to have wall thickness reduced as much as to make very easy denting and also difficulty in welding. rather cheap but not the best riding experience - except smooth roads.

carbon frame is very dangerous if a crack develops because there's the risk of going unnoticed.
titanium is somewhere in between good steel (starting with alloys such as in reynolds 853 etc.) and aluminum but it's not the best choice for clydes.

if i were a clyde i'd try to get a reynolds 853 or columbus ultrafocco frame, lightweight wide rims built with high tension which is afforded with very small tension variance and tires as to be large enough. and in time... i would save for a frame made with reynlods 953 tubing. either second hand - hard to find on ebay etc. for the exact size - or custom made if new. bikes with such tubing are usually custom made to the customer's preferences. this latter kind of a bike can handle smaller tires on the road while being very comfortable and speedy.

as for rather cheap aluminum... a cyclocross frame could withstand a clyde on the road because they are designed with large tube diameters - large dynamic loads when riding.
the most important thing is to have wide rims with large tires, especially for such a case.

and one more thing... handlebars stiffness is more important than fork/frame torsional stiffness when it comes to control. forks are rarely exposed to impacts(denting), same with handlebars. therefore... crabon can be used.

Last edited by adipe; 09-30-19 at 12:58 PM.