Old 03-14-21, 10:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman

My 2009 Waterford 22 Series Competition Track. I just swapped out the Phil Woods/Isidis tubular rims/Vittoria blackwall tires for a set of newly built Velo Orange/H Son Plus TB14 clincher rims/Michelin tan wall tires. I wanted more bling for the rims and tires. I bought the bike off EBay a few years ago and it came with tubulars. I plan to swap both sets of wheels occasionally.

I put a a 20t White Industries Eno freewheel on one side and have an 18t Shimano freewheel on the flip side. The White Industries is loud and the Shimano is almost silent. With a 49t chainring I can ride at either 65” or 72”.
You wanted more bling so you got rid of the Phil Woods? I cannot think of a fixed hub that is more bling then Phil. I mean do not get me wrong they are excellent hubs but that red Phil script is the blingdelabling. You see that you know you got something special. However the wheels you have look good on that bike. Part of me would have done the Hard Anodized Grey to match the stem and seatpost but the polished looks good with the lugs so it is a tough choice.

The WI freewheel is going to be nice and loud as it has more engagement points and is so nice. You should try the trials version it is even noisier (in a good way). Shimano is a fine disposable freewheel so it won't be quite so engagement heavy so less noise but will still do the jerb.

Cool bike though. I love a good Waterford and that is a good Waterford (granted I haven't really seen a Waterford I don't like but you did it right)