Old 12-27-15, 07:29 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Couple of different variables at play. Shoe fit is important; too wide or too narrow can prove sub-optimal for circulation. Cleat placement and angle is important for tracking. Pedals are another variable that I haven't had to look into (I found my first pair with Look Keo pedals to be sufficient.) Last is orthotic support for the arcs.

Since I can't speak on Speedplays or SPDs, my only contribution here would be to look into arc support as you try and address the hot spots. On my initial rides up to about 20 miles, I would get hot spots and couldn't stand it. It made riding pretty unpleasant. Changing out my stock insoles to Specialized Body Glove++ (Blue) helped me tremendously. I went into my LBS who were authorized retailers for the product, had me stand on a platform that measures your arc, and found my perfect system. For $30, I got to keep my pedals and my shoes, and can now go at practically any distance with not as much as a single complaint from my feet. YMMV.

Specialized Bicycle Components