View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 10:42 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I’ve done two bikes now with rattlecan (mostly because in my area repaints run $600+CAD and powder coat (including prep) can be $400+ CAD so professional help is out of the picture for a bike only worth $200 at best);

@randyjawa’s site was extremely helpful; I did one bike spray only and did have trouble with runs and good coverage (ie too much here too little there); the second was a combination brush and spray.

Brush was hard to keep dust free (takes longer to cure). Both worked out better than I expected in the end but it takes a LOT of prep and care in the doing. I probably bought $100 in sandpaper’s/clay/buffing products.

In the end I found paint to be much softer than original and you need to let it cure waaaaaay longer than the instructions on the can say. For spray -
minimum of a week between coats (due to solvents that allow the paint to be sprayed); brushed I could do another coat within a couple of days but if you plan to sand between coats (and you should) also wait a week or you’ll probably hit uncured paint pretty quickly.

Overall though you can get a really satisfactory result.