Old 07-27-19, 04:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My bike fit changes with my age and conditioning. After two months in physical therapy this spring/early summer working on my injured shoulder and neck, I retweaked a fit that used to be comfortable to better suit my new me.

Regarding reach, to better suit my neck injuries (permanent C1 and C2 damage), I've had to go from a 125mm stem to 80 or 90mm. Much better. I'm more upright, comfortable and better balanced, yet can comfortably get aero by using the hoods and keeping my forearms more parallel with the ground, or using the drops. Couldn't do that comfortably with the longer stem, or before physical therapy.

And I'll need to do the same soon with my other road bike -- I'm way too stretched out on the 140mm stem, even though it's a slightly smaller frame (56cm vs 58cm on the other bike).

And I can feel other minor differences between the bikes. Different saddles (Selle Italia solid saddle on one, Bontrager with pressure relief cutout on the other), shoes (Scott and Fizik), pedals/cleats (Look Delta on one, Shimano SPD-SL on the other). It's just enough that one bike is comfortable for 50-60 mile rides, while the other begins to wear on me after about 30 miles.