Old 09-07-19, 06:45 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Your're talking about these from King, right?

https://www.benscycle.com/King-Cage-Universal-Support-Bolt/Water_Bottle_Cage_Hardware_KingCage_SupportBolt_584/Product?ad_id=MAgoogle&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfTLoPAgIT1DgsopxmDqVYizeJHWwaaFuiOU0CNIOIPnWvO Qh9zGglEaArzsEALw_wcB

These are very clever but pricey at $6 each. They look very solid. They look like a modded hose clamp and they do look like they'll hold a water bottle cage securely. I would trust these under the down tube or on the seat tube.

I agree by the way. The combo of a modern water bottle cage with the old school clamps is often not a solid one which is why I started this thread.

VO clamps are a heck of a lot cheaper at $3 for a pair but the VO site says they do not work with VO water bottle cages. Huh?

That's too bad because I like VO cages and I'm running one on my Fuji with an old school clamp. It is working but it was a pain to get on and the clamps are not holding as well as they might.

https://velo-orange.com/products/bottle-cage-clamp
Yeah, those are the King straps I was referring too. Frankly, I wouldn't put them on a classic road bike either. It's the 90s industrial chic thing. Just right for a vintage Ti mountain bike. I think those Zefal straps look like a better option.

It is strange that VO sells cages that don't work with the VO bottle cage straps. Almost nonsensical. Perhaps they used to sell a compatible cage. Can't recall. If that's the combo you're using no wonder it's not working great. The traditional metal straps are actually quite secure if used with a vintage or vintage style bottle cage that has rectangular tab extensions that the straps are meant to go over. See vintage TA bottle cages, or REG or Cobra. A bit later in the 80s the same standard was adopted by early Specialized, Blackburn, 'Avenir', etc etc.

Anyhow, other than vintage cages, the only cages sold today that will still work with straps are the OG Blackburn 'Comp' and the Zefal vintage reissue. For all others you'll need your choice of doodad.