Thread: REI rant
View Single Post
Old 05-23-20, 12:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
REI generally does not have the greatest of bike departments. They may sell some quality brands and even their house brand is fine but they are not a great bike shop. Massive chain stores tend not to always focus enough on their mechanics and are usually a place to start for a lot of kids but not a place many want to stay or want to do the most quality work. There are of course exceptions to the rule in different areas. That being said most shops including REI offer a free tune up or checkover once you purchase the bike. Bring it back to them and they should be able to take a look at it.

They should have put your bike together and checked it over. Every new bike should always be checked over by the head mechanic and should go through an exit tune where it is again checked. I know right now every shop that is open is busy and everyone is stressed. Unfortunately mistakes are being made because so much is being put on us and we barely have time to breathe.

If you are currently on the frontlines you know your customers are angry getting angrier and maybe not specifically at you but certainly are taking it out on you. You gotta just back up and try not to take it personally and just do the best damn job you can. For those coming to the shop please take your anger somewhere else, be nice, be kind, be understanding. If you are out of work, I am sorry, things suck right now for everyone. I am glad to have a job but it is more stressful then it has ever been. Imagine the most popular store on Black Friday, every day for however long this has been going on, that is our life right now. Let's all try to get through this together and just treat each other as human beings and try to be as mellow as possible.
Likes For veganbikes: