View Single Post
Old 07-15-20, 01:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
A lot of people only have a GP (doctor) and those GPs often discourage bicycling. Years ago I had problems with fatigue whilst riding up a hill here in town that I normally didn't even gear down on. My GP told me to stop riding the bicycle for a long time. A sports medicine doctor diagnosed the problem and I was able to correct it whilst still being able to ride the bicycle.

Not all doctors are created equal.

As George Carlin once said: "Somewhere there's a doctor, who graduated at the very bottom of his class, practicing medicine.

(laughter from the audience)

"The really scary thing is that there's a roomful of people waiting to see him".

Cheers
For a while I had a GP who was a competitive cyclist. His advice, in all situations, was keep riding. My current GP looks at my numbers and says keep doing whatever I'm doing, which is decent. But others over the years others have said quit because I might get hurt, or don't go too hard, or avoid the heat, out don't overdo it. I rider too far, too long, too frequently, and crash too much. All still better than sitting on the sofa.

As always though, there could be an actual medical problem for the OP, and a medical professional is best stored to determine that.