Old 07-12-19, 06:03 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The point of the article is that it's not effective at treating cramping. I realize it's tempting to connect exercise-related cramping to electrolyte deficiency, but there's way too much evidence to the contrary to take this seriously.

The current fad explanation is magnesium, but that's all it is. It has the advantage for quacks of being relatively hard to detect and to treat, so they can keep you taking unnecessary supplements for year even though it is having no real effect.

I'm not saying that magnesium deficiency doesn't exist, but it's a lot rarer than people are saying, and it isn't related to this type of cramping.

Magnesium overdose also has consequences, btw.
The article your relying on is unfortunately junk Science in my view. I tried to assess it yet all it was was an assessment of other trials. What this does is to mask the data all the while claiming authority.
There is no faith in Science. Only data. No data? No Science.

Muscles use calcium to contract and magnesium to relax. If you lack magnesium then your muscles won't relax. Its not complicated and its covered in my previous references.
Magnesium deficiency is difficult to correct and not a simple matter of taking supplements. Yes.
There are consequences to taking too much magnesium. Yes. I said that.
Just because its not a simple matter of just taking any old magnesium supplement doesn't mean that improving your magnesium levels isn't the correct answer.