Old 02-18-21, 11:57 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by rlorenz2
On my main ride I only have a tubular wheelset. I have never tried tape, but glue works great and is easy to apply without much mess. I typically use a rubber glove to apply the glue to the tire and rim.
All tubulars were easy to mount. I always have mounted them first with air to "stretch out" and had no trouble once gluing.
Centering the tire can be tedious but not to difficult and gets centered in about 5min of adjustment.

I have tried the 3 for $50 tubulars from Yellow Jersey. They are great for the price but wear fast and failed me on a small glass cut in the tire.
I have had similar experience with Vittoria Rally Tubulars too, just ok

I spent a little extra on some Veloflex tubulars and they are working great. Very nice ride and puncture resistance so far (knock on wood). Ridden them all last season and they are still in great condition. Although the sizes were a bit off (25's measured 22-23mm and 28's measured 25mm)

In terms of dealing with a puncture, I have tried Vittoria Pit Stop and Stan's

Vittoria Pit Stop - when it works it works great. when it doesn't your out $15 a pop. Sometimes the head doesn't seat correctly on the valve causing a mess. Also had the can not inflate the tire enough to be rideable.
Stan's - Works great most times (better results than Vittoria & smaller to carry in saddle bag). If you pre add you have to top off or it will expire in the tire after some months. I find it best to add when needed and fill up with a pump of CO2.
I currently have 3 tubular wheelsets, and three pairs of tires which have been stretching on the rims for years, so at least the stretching part is done

So, I have a few tires to play/test with. While I plan to put some high-end rubber on the wheels eventually, since this will be a re-learning process, it would be smart to begin the journey with what I have. Based on the advice here, I'll also be getting some Stan's and a valve core remover and add them to the flat-repair kit.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions - much appreciated!

DD