Old 06-11-16, 08:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
not bunko .... it's fact .... when you fully load the LHT, it's easier to handle if it's one size smaller than what you normally use.

lots of info on the surly user group forum, and here is a blog also making mention of opting for one size smaller:
Surly Long Haul Trucker - Touring Bicycle Review - Surly LHT

snip:
When it came to selecting the correct size, there were a few different schools of thought to consider. We took the advice of the bike shop to go for a smaller size than usual in a touring frame. The 60cm, and maybe even 62cm frame would certainly have fit me, but our man Barney at the local bike shop advised me to go for the 58cm in order to have
greater control over my steed when fully loaded, especially when getting on and off. I do have a rather long seat post and a raised stem. I didn’t even need to cut the fork down. What matters is that I feel comfortable on the bike, and so I’m absolutely sure I made the right sizing and set-up choices. Even my partner took the size down from her normal size, 46cm, and she just loves riding her Surly Long Haul Trucker.
Still haven't heard that before this one. I certainly never had any issues with control on the bike at normal sizing but I could see what they are saying as far as getting on and off but stability was never a concern. I would be more concerned with heel strike and toe clip overlap with fenders, not very of course but a little.