Old 08-01-18, 06:43 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Quality platform pedals with pins for me. I don't have slipping issues when paired with good shoes (makes a hell of a difference) and being able to normally stop, walk, etc is just very convenient. While I can see myself clipped in on the road, on gravel / macadame / etc, I just don't like the idea of being clipped in. Especially since riding a drop bar tourer with wide slicks offroad means that sometimes you have to put the foot down and walk the bike a bit until you get to a spot where you have traction to get going again. Wet macadame / gravel uphill is particularly problematic.
The type of soles that most XC style shoes have are much much better in mud and wet offroad conditions than most flat pedal shoes. You can even put spikes on them. They clear mud super easily and have awesome traction. With SPD you can clip in even if your shoe has more mud on it than shoe. Crankbros are even better in this regard.
I can happily hike-a-bike in my SPD shoes. You're probably not walking for hours, unless you get something with zero padding and the stiffest sole known to man it's not a problem at all.

The stopping part... I feel like people that think unclipping is some big deal never used SPDs. After you ride SPDs for a while it's a reflex. You don't think about unclipping, you just do it. There is nothing "not normal" about it.
About to fall over when climbing rocky singletrack? Heel kick, foot straight down. Just as fast as platforms.

I'm not defending SPD to death (even though it might seem like it) but I feel like most people here that talk negatively about it never actually tried them and/or used them long enough to get used to them.

Also, what about overshoes? Can you use them on flat pedals and regular shoes?

Last edited by Facanh; 08-01-18 at 07:57 AM.