Old 01-29-19, 09:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Make sure you know your limits. The weather man says that around here in Boston this week and next are the coldest two week stretch, on average
Only way to know your limits is to test them. I'd rather test my limits in the relative safety of my city than the uninhabited woods on Northern Minnesota. I'm sure you understand that.

I've been working to move my cold temp range lower and lower over many years, I've tested myself down to -25*F without issues. I'm looking forward to moving the mark to a lower temp tomorrow.

To the point of this tread, I'm certain I will have many people think I'm crazy without knowing the years of work I've put into fine tuning my gear or knowing my goal of riding the AH135. Like I said early, my coworkers in NC are sure I'll die in a snowbank if I walk out the front door to get the mail

Side story: last night we need a couple items at the store, I said I'd walk out to get them. Lisa was worried about me walking 4 blocks to the store the cold (it was around 0*F) ... I laughed as I reminded her I'm training to ride the AH135, in temps much colder than this, and I'll be out in it for at least 24 hours. Not sure she's believing me yet.

Edit/afterthought: knowing your limits - I'm proud and sad for my buddy that bailed. I know he's an exceptionally strong rider (picture Grizzly Adams on a bike). I know it was hard for him to pull out. Likewise, I was tested and bailed on a race a couple years ago, for me it was the linger effects of the flu, extreme heat and headwinds that forced me to DNF.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-29-19 at 09:39 AM.