View Single Post
Old 01-25-05, 10:09 PM
79th Frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am a 62 male rider, living in Greenville, SC.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?Actually, I ride a Magna motorcycle now because a neck problem keeps me off my 35-year-old custom bike, Jack's 79th Franklin Frame. I had it built as a racer for a 6'3" rider. It started with silks and the absolute best components available then. Over the years the silks became tubies, the frame sprouted touring bosses, the forks and stays were splayed, comfort components replaced the racing stuff, and I built sets of sturdier wheels as I got...sturdier! I'm toying with the idea of a recumbant so I can get back to bicycling.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?I take whatever my wife puts in front of me. My rule is that if the pills don't fit in the palm of one hand, something has to go.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I have slowed to zero on a bicycle but I'm working on the idea of getting back to it. I still swim the mile but my times are way up from what they were. I used to do it in 25 minutes. Now it takes 45-50.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I started serious biking late. I was 28. My wife bought me a cheap bike to ride for exercise. I joined a club and suddenly I was President and riding constantly with the young bucks. I had some surgery about 12 years ago that made it impossible to ride a diamond frame again. I really miss it.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.
I want to get back to doing centuries if the idea of getting a recumbant works out.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
When I quit at age 51 I was riding about 2000 miles a year. I'd expect to make that and more if I can get back to the sport.