Old 07-20-09, 02:32 AM
tpstrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting fit for a touring bike?

Complete touring newbie here...

I am planning on buying a used touring bike between $600 and $1000, which will be used for cross-state/country trips. I want to buy a whole bike off of Ebay, but what if my "dimensions" aren't right for it )? I think I am normal sized: 6' 0", 165, normal arm and leg length (i think). How much should I worry about getting fit for a bike and making sure the bike I buy has those specific specs.

Also, if I buy off of Ebay, they'll have to send me the bike unassembled, correct? Any suggestions on how to learn about how to assemble bikes and about general bike mechanics? (i.e. video instructions, books etc) If that's too complicated for a newbie, how much does it cost to have a bike assembled?

Also, along the lines of the last concern, does anyone have suggestions on type/size of repair kit and what I NEED in it while taking a LONG (i.e. 1000+ miles) bike tour?

Also, I am just generally worried about spending money on stuff I don't want. For example, I get panniers when I'd rather use a trailer. the tires that come with the bike turn out to be too wide, or the wheelbase is too short etc.... Any suggestions for a newbie touring bike buyer are welcome!

Thanks!

PS what do i search for in ebay to

Last edited by tpstrat; 07-20-09 at 02:42 AM.