Old 02-01-20, 02:54 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Now there's an opinion I would really like to examine. One of those bikes, the one I am most interested in is lauded as one of the best touring bikes of all times, the Schwinn Voyageur SP, by guys on this same forum. I am signed up for a Masters mechanic series of classes and plan to make sure whatever I go on is in top shape. If however the Schwinn is just an old bike and I would be better off on my Trek, that's something I want to know for sure. Are the guys who talk up the Schwinn VSP just high on old steel dust, or has this gentleman just not yet learned to trust anything not new?

Respectfully, my friend, is that opinion based on experience or based more on caution? I don't want to waste any money on an older bike ,even restored if it just isn't up to the task. I would rather liquidate something and drop $1500,if nostalgia is the only reason to buy what is considered a touring classic from 1983.

BTW
I'm 51 years old 6'2 and 170 lbs if that matters.
that schwinn looks pretty nice. pretty much the same as what i built up around that time to tour on.
thoughout europe, around oz, across us. really nice bike for pavement.
7spd FW, sugina AT triple, downtube shifters, cantis.

if it fits, if in good condition, should do nicely.
but about the wheels......
i'm assuming that's FW and probably 27".
might limit your choices