View Single Post
Old 05-09-11, 11:27 AM
chvid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just purchased a used Sun EZ-1, and I put on a 20" fork from an Ez-Sport-CX on it that I had earlier purchased for my Raleigh 20 (it has a long 9" steerer, and a 1" steerer). Since I couldn't find a Crystalyte 404 for the 16" fork/wheel. Instead I have a Nine-Continent 2805 hub motor in the 20" wheel. There is a wee bit of flop on the wheel, but very rideable. The bike is fast - I can hit around 27mph on it, on a 48Volt Ping battery. Excellent machine. I got the motor from ebikes.ca, and using the bmsbattery 12 mosfet universal controller (in sensorless mode). That fork can be aquired from an LBS, but tell them not to mention to J&B importers that it is for this conversion - you might tell them it is "to put a new fork on a Raleigh 20, which has standard 100mm spacing". I gather J&B may balk if they hear it is for an EZ-1 conversion. Quite a successful project - love the bike in the 20/20 format. Still small, and the bb is a bit higher, so more recumbent than before. I'm using the mid-rack to hold a battery, leaving another pannier for hauling on the other size, and a milk crate zip-tied to the back of the seat - an inflateable thermorest cushion against the back, between the seat straps and the mesh is much nicer on the back. I think it would also be nice with a smaller geared hub motor in the 20" fork, like a Bafang, as long as the speed is good - its nice to hit 25mph with moderate pedalling.

Last edited by chvid; 05-10-11 at 09:28 AM.