View Single Post
Old 01-05-14, 12:23 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Many thanks for the birthday wishes--No ride today for two reasons. Bit wet over here and the wind is a bit too strong. Your Snow storm on the North East coast is coming over to us in the form of lots of rain and very high winds. Had flooding since before Christmas locally and 60 mph winds are not helping.

However--The family and I did get out to Friston Forest- out local MTB area- for a walk. There was a lull in the rain this morning and the wind dropped to something of a stiff breeze. Don't know what happened to the mountain bikers but we were in the forest up to our ankles in mud and debris and only saw a couple of bikers. One couple were out on their "New" bikes and were moaning about the mud. As Ross-My son-in-Law and I both asked- "What Mud"? Bad for walking but MTB's should manage it and to prove it we asked if we could try their bikes. They agreed and took bthe bikes up what both of us would agree was a stiff slope and managed to get traction. Experience counts and I could see the line that would give grip but after 300 yards we had had enough and turned round for the downhill. It is not easy riding in welly boots and full outdoor clothing but that downhill was fun. Or it was till I tried to stop at the bottom and locked the brakes. Quick release and carry on but the holly bush took a beating.

So I did get a birthday ride but next job is to get the MTB roadworthy again- or is that trailworthy- and find out how soft a TomBay is on mud. Might leave that for a couple of weeks though till the rain and wind are supposed to end.

Spike Milligan