View Single Post
Old 03-16-17, 08:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
03-16-17

The bottom bracket was installed today and temporarily fitted with an old crank.

This frame is designed around PF30 but there are lots of PF30 replacement solutions available from companies like Praxis, Enduro, Wheels Manufacturing and others. I went with an Enduro TorqTite PF30 to 24mm model with 440C stainless angular contact bearings.

Enduro would love to sell you their proprietary bottom bracket wrenches but there is no need when installing the 24mm Shimano flavor as these accept a standard 16 notch bottom bracket tool. Installation is extremely straight forward as explained in the video below.

The product comes with a warning that frames with tight tolerances may need to have the non drive side cup pressed in. This wasn't the case with this frame and the cups literally slipped into the shell and screwed together until hand tight, then tightened with two bottom bracket tools pictured. Note that the dust seals go on with the concave side out and that Shimano road cranks require the supplied 0.5mm nylon washers outboard of the dust seals, one on each side.

I don't have Ultegra cranks for this bike yet but used a set of 105 cranks from my parts bin to test fit. Preload is important with angular contact bearings and the plastic preload thingamajig on the non-drive side crank arm must be tightened to 3Nm. Shimano NDS arm pinch bolts get torqued to 12-14Nm.

The whole thing was super simple.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 03-16-17 at 09:37 PM.