View Single Post
Old 01-13-19, 12:14 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
It's after September 2018, but I'll add my thoughts anyway. Been a couple of years ago now, on my last visit to Rome. Or maybe my second to last visit? Can't get enough of the place. I rented a bicycle for a few days to get around Rome and visit some places off the tourist path. And to fulfill a childhood dream, which was to walk on Via Appia Antica, (Appian Way).

I found a bicycle one of the best ways to get around Rome, and to my relief, cars were very respectful of me out on the streets. My only close call was almost being squeezed between two buses. My own stupid fault. But the cars were fantastic. I asked the hotel front desk guy, who was a great help during the trip, and he said that car drivers were at one time bicyclists and realize how much they could hurt a cyclist on a bike, and thereby give them a wide berth. It was pretty simple to keep up with the flow of traffic most of the time.

Had a very minor issue when boarding the plane in the states. I hand carried my helmet and the boarding clerk wouldn't let me on because it was my third "carry on". So, I just flipped it onto the top of my head, and problem solved. Now I only had two carry on items, (wearing the third.)

The fulfillment of a childhood dream. To walk along Via Appia Antica.

Last edited by volosong; 01-13-19 at 12:18 PM.