Thread: Planet Cyclery
View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 11:33 PM
tbessie

Bikes: Custom Ti Firefly Road Bike w/Campy Chorus; Custom Ti Steve Potts Touring Bike w/Shimano XT; Custom Steel Steve Rex lugged frame for everyday w/90's era Campy Veloce; Jamis Quest when Steve Rex is in the shop.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ordered a few things from Planet Cyclery in the past without any issues.

Today, I got an order of 4 supposedly NOS (New Old Stock) Campagnolo front derailleurs (they were a pretty good price, and I'm revamping my old Campy-based city bike, and wanted my local bike shop to see which one worked best with the other components).

All were listed as "New In Box", but ALL of them arrived 1) not in boxes (there was the shipping box, but each was not in the Campy box they originally should have come in), 2) 2 were in plastic bags and 2 loose in the box, 3) only 1 came with the user manual, 4) all had scuff marks and scratches (not horrible ones, but enough for me to see they'd been either used or knocked around a lot over the years with other components, 5) some grit on the lubed surfaces.

This is NOT "New In Box"; I've written them asking them to explain what "New In Box" means to them, if it doesn't actually mean "New In Box".

I've seen quite a few complaints about them, as well as quite a few good experiences; this latest experience, tho', makes me think a lot less of them.

EDIT: I emailed and called them, and they said that it saying "New In Box" was a mistake, and that they'd get their content team to fix that (I hope they do). They said they would take them back as a return if I want. I'm going to bring them to my local bike shop and have them inspected for any wear, to make sure; if they are "like new" I'll just keep them.

Last edited by tbessie; 03-05-19 at 04:06 PM.