View Single Post
Old 04-09-19, 12:05 PM
onre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Either forged or rather cunningly pressed. I'll take a better look next time I visit the garage. The bike was a bit of a lucky find - the seller told they bought it new, then rode for some years, bought something nicer and put it away in the shed. I found it from the local Craigslist equivalent.

The front hub is a Maillard and came apart today. It was dry, the grease in it had turned into a resinous substance and the cones have seen better days. When putting it back together after cleaning I really couldn't get it to a) not bind in some wheel positions and b) not have slack at the same time. I may give the hub another disassembly and cleaning to see why it binds. It didn't look that bad... but then again, before disassembly it was almost impossible to turn by fingers.

Also the Nokia-branded front tyre was really hard to remove - I had to actually use tire irons to get the bead off the rim. Rear tire is a Michelin, probably original. Both wheels are slightly out of true. I've successfully made a couple of seriously out of true wheels a bit more true before, but dunno really how much I can improve these.

Other specs include Weinmann Vainqueur brakes, Weinmann drillium brake handles and some late-model Positron push-pull cable rear derailleur with a five-speed freewheel.

Pics shall follow...

Last edited by onre; 04-09-19 at 12:15 PM.