View Single Post
Old 06-01-19, 04:35 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
So, finally received my Sirrus Comp X (Medium) last weekend. Not much mileage yet, but a few first impressions.

1. The Future Shock works, exactly as claimed. The effect is subtle, but immediately noticeable. I'm currently running the stock 38mm tires (soon to go) at the same pressure as the Roubaix 32s on my '10 Sirrus, just as a check. There's no question about the effectiveness of this device, and it is the main reason I bought the bike. This is with the stock Medium spring. I will probably change it out for the Light spring -- not sure yet.

2. Frame is beautifully made, and (bonus) the slight geometry changes relative to my '10 are fantastic: a little more reach > fits like a glove w/stock stem. Nothing needs fiddling with there.

3. The NX drivetrain (1x11) is great; very smooth shifting and quiet. The ratios are fine with me, but I'll probably change the stock 42 ring down to a 38 at some point. I have no need for a 42x11 high, and a smaller front ring will allow more use of the middle/lower part of the cassette.

4. The brakes are (now) perfectly fine. Out the shop door, the front brake was flawless but the rear squealed like a stuck pig from the get-go; little children and kittens were keeling over as I went by. Turns out factory or distributor error: rear rotor and pads contaminated with some kind of oil. Re-surface rotor, re-align caliper, and new pads > total fix (quick) by LBS. All is good.

5. Tires are ... meh. They're ok, but too heavy/too much tread for me. I knew that going in, so not a complaint at all. These will be replaced soonest by my beloved 32mm Roubaix Pros or Conti GP5000 32s.

6. The crank is a) fugly and b) a boat anchor. It (and the b/b) is crude. I get it; build to a price point. This will go next off-season. Probably replace with Praxis carbon or SRAM Force.

7. The wheels: crude junk. These will go, along with the crankset, next off-season. I'll replace with something 'not fake deep section' and much, much lighter. Target will be 1500g.

8. #6 and #7 are mainly responsible for the porky overall weight: bike as stock is probably around 22/23 lbs. Far too heavy. My target is 19 lbs. w/pedals (my '10 Sirrus Comp); changing out the crankset and wheels on this one will pretty much cover that. The following year I'll change out the brakes to Ultegra calipers/rotors and XT levers (yes, they're compatible).

Summary: love the bike so far. The negatives above are 'just me'; personal preferences and all that. The bike as a whole is a keeper, and once I've customized it to my preferences it is very likely to do me for a very long time.
Congratulations, @badger1. You've been waiting for awhile. I hope the weather cooperates this weekend.

The frame and fork seem good, and that's the most important part. I especially like the threaded BB.

Agreed on the cranks and wheels. In general, these are traditional OEM cost saver locations.

Agreed with the gearing. I spin fast and like the small jumps around the 13-19t a lot. I don't even use 11t cogs if I can, most of my bikes max out at 12t. Also prefer newer 1.5 finer levers over older 2.5 finger ones.

Also surprised at that stock weight, oddly high for crabon but nothing some money will not solve. Don't neglect OEM seatposts and handlebars, they can be quite heavy. For perspective, a high end 94 steel rigid Stumpjumper weighed the same.

From your verbal description, it seems like a nice bike and I look forward to seeing it personalized. Congratulations, again.

TLDR: Pics or it didn't happen.