Old 09-24-19, 06:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
IIRC, one of the issues with the extra-light version of the Grand Bois Hetre tire was that the tread was relatively thick up to the edges, yet the sidewall was very flexible. This difference in flexibility caused tire failures at the sidewall near the tread. I kinda wonder if something similar is happening here. The tread has become a little firmer with age, and it's forcing the sidewall to flex a little extra at that junction, causing the fabric to fray.
Hmmm, this has me thinking. You know, when I first started riding on these tires (same wheelset, used on two different bikes) I would hear a funny noise and now I wonder if it is the tires flexing and popping threads. The noise is hard to describe - kind of a creaking noise, but not quite - but it's obvious the noise is coming from the wheel, and I think it's the tire flexing.

I will see how it continues to react on my short 2-mile school commute, but I don't think I'll take this bike too far from home. If a tire fails, I'll be walking home for sure!

DD