View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 04:42 PM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
The pointless personal attack aside had you posted this first I would not have taken offense at your blanket don't pay for strava comment. Pardon me for replying into a thread about power where only those invited must know everything, Oh wait you are not the OP. I'm not making recommendations on the use of power meter. I am pointedly asking you to back up why you say to not make a purchasing decision.
Don't act offended after you post pejoratives phrases such ase "Yeah just use free services. The best policy is to get something for nothing and expect more" and "paying for the freeloaders out there."

"Oh wait you're not the OP"? Wut? Then why did you respond to my post? And call me a "freeloader" in the process? You attack me from a position of ignorance, and now you complain?

I backed up my post already. Strava is not a serious training tool. It doesn't provide enough detail nor any of the information that can be calculated from power inputs from rides. It provides no real ability to track progress outside of paging through ride after ride and trying to collate the data yourself - things that a computer is designed to do, yet Strava doesn't do it. Hell, free RWGPS is a better training tool than paid Strava - at least there you can get your NP for not only an entire ride, but for segments of your ride.

Why pay for a tool when someone else provides a better tool for free? Paid Strava power provides almost none of the capabilities of free Golden Cheetah.

The only thing Strava provides that Golden Cheetah doesn't is a way to easily measure yourself against other riders. And they do the only one that matters - how fast you go - for free.

Power is a tool used to go faster. It's not an end unto itself.

And even then, if you really cared to measure yourself against the truly fast, you get a license, pin on a number, and race. Because the really fast riders tend not to play on Strava. Strava is playing "Who's the biggest fish" in a tidal pond while over the dune is the ocean where the sharks and whales swim.