Thread: Power tripper
View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 10:37 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Don't act offended after you post pejoratives phrases such ase "Yeah just use free services. The best policy is to get something for nothing and expect more" and "paying for the freeloaders out there."

"Oh wait you're not the OP"? Wut? Then why did you respond to my post? And call me a "freeloader" in the process? You attack me from a position of ignorance, and now you complain?

I backed up my post already. Strava is not a serious training tool. It doesn't provide enough detail nor any of the information that can be calculated from power inputs from rides. It provides no real ability to track progress outside of paging through ride after ride and trying to collate the data yourself - things that a computer is designed to do, yet Strava doesn't do it. Hell, free RWGPS is a better training tool than paid Strava - at least there you can get your NP for not only an entire ride, but for segments of your ride.

Why pay for a tool when someone else provides a better tool for free? Paid Strava power provides almost none of the capabilities of free Golden Cheetah.

The only thing Strava provides that Golden Cheetah doesn't is a way to easily measure yourself against other riders. And they do the only one that matters - how fast you go - for free.

Power is a tool used to go faster. It's not an end unto itself.

And even then, if you really cared to measure yourself against the truly fast, you get a license, pin on a number, and race. Because the really fast riders tend not to play on Strava. Strava is playing "Who's the biggest fish" in a tidal pond while over the dune is the ocean where the sharks and whales swim.
I'm not acting offended, I am offended. Twice you have called me ignorant and yet I've not called you names. Yes I questioned your charcter and you opened that can of worms by posting in such shorthand opinion only without substance BS. You seem to think your thoughts and opinions are facts and yet they are just subjective opinion, and it seems poorly informed at that. For you and perhaps others Strava is not a serious training tool, yeah whatever. I came to this thread seeking knowledge about power and how it might help me. You sir on the other hand get all defensive when called on your assertions without any intellectual credibility and then call others ignorant. You do not know me or what I know! Your first reply to this thread is not directed towards the OP, perhaps it is directed towards the second post that just happens to say that he is not using power and yet you think I have no place in this forum if I do not know what a list of trademarked acronyms are, seriously.
Back the hell up pilgrim! Qualify your comments a little better and objectively read what you are posting with another's perspective. A reading of your post is You like FREE, FREE, and OH don't spend money on this. I like free resources as well but I do not ever advocate for someone to not buy a subscription to support what they find useful. Someday I'll buy a powermeter but only because I want to know what i can do, I really could care less how others are doing. I won enough races in my youth, now I only want to beat myself.