View Single Post
Old 12-29-15, 11:20 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Those little increases are very important to some people and not the least bit important to others. And, in many cases, those decisions (in this age group) are made independently of whether or not there is any financial impact to the buyer. Plus, if those little increases, or that little bit of status, make the individual want to keep the bike longer it could be a wise financial decision (given used bikes hold very little value in relationship to purchase price).
I'll support this response in a qualified way: the qualification is that I don't see it as anyone's business who spends what/how much on their bike stuff -- you, me, whomever. I don't think anyone is obliged to produce 'reasons' or a 'justification' for buying, say, Ultegra rather than 105 -- or Dura Ace rather than Ultegra, for that matter.

For example, I ride a flat-bar road bike (often derisively referred to on these boards as a "hybrid"). I can't sensibly afford it given other priorities, but if I could I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to order a custom-designed and built flat-bar road bike for myself, and build it up with the very best components/wheels. I'd love to do that, and couldn't give a rat's bottom whether anyone on here thinks that's either stupid and/or a waste of money -- either because " ... high-end stuff is a waste of money ..." or because such a bicycle would not be " ... a 'real' road bike ...".

That said, the more important question is: will this post get this thread to twelve pages?