Old 09-12-18, 01:55 PM
Middleagedspred

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pros and Cons

Pros
  1. I feel fitter. Thanks to commuter cycling, I never completely lost aerobic fitness, but I'm definitely getting fitter and faster.
  2. I can run again. I stopped running because it hurt, partly as a result of weight gain, and partly because I was running too hard. Now some of the weight has come off I'm tentatively starting running at a much lower pace, and so far, so good.
  3. I dropped most sport and fitness activity as I gained weight. Now I'm playing hockey (really badly) again, and loving it.
  4. I took part in a triathlon. Okay it was only a sprint triathlon, but it's inspired me to do more. Now something really ambitious feels achievable.
  5. I'm swimming faster. Which is a surprise, because when I started gaining weight (about eight years ago) I actually improved as a swimmer, in part due to improved buoyancy.
  6. I look better, which is nice for my spouse, and nice for my self esteem.
  7. I don't seem to need as much food as I did.
  8. I have rediscovered old (sports /fitness) goals and a purpose that I had unjustifiably given up on.

Cons
  1. I need a new wardrobe. I have half a dozen suits, a blazer and smart trousers that I wore for work, but even with belts they are all now hanging off of me. I've also put all my jeans and shorts into storage. Shirts are a bit more forgiving, but I'm going to have to use money for new clothes that should be paying for N+1 ;-)
  2. I'm conscious of the calorific content of everything I eat.
  3. I don't get to eat everything I want, and I have to skip the treats. I miss some foods.
  4. I feel the cold. I'm really noticing the cold more than I did, and I'm a bit apprehensive about this coming winter for my bike commute.
  5. The diet and lifestyle changes can require a focus bordering on obsession (at least from my wife's P.O.V.).
Is it worth it? I'd say so. The diet changes are what has really helped, but the lifestyle changes will help me to sustain it.