Old 09-01-19, 02:55 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
A good hardware store? Or maybe Google "extension springs", click the shopping tab, you will probably find something similar that way. Might be a lot to wade through and tough to find a good match though.

You might also consider quality shock cord. It comes in a variety of sizes and strengths. A good marina or boat supply place will sell it by the foot and sell custom end fittings.
Rainshed was a good source of quality material, including shock cord, and fittings. However, I went by there Friday and they are closing the shop. The owner is retiring and selling the business. They might still be taking mail orders until it sells. I was actually getting some shock cord for another project. https://www.therainshed.com/shop/Fabrics.htm

I replaced the flimsy attachment on these panniers a few years ago using the type of shock cord steahpjl is recommending, and it worked well. I used 1/4 inch diameter. IMO it will do a better job than the spring setup you have now.

Hog rings can be used for a permanent application.

Or just a knot that works just as well but is easier to adjust.

High quality shock cord has more elasticity than cheap shock cord. I've used two 3/16 inch shock cords to hold my rack pack to the rear rack for over a dozen years without any problems. The hooks and cord were purchased from Rainshed. Since this picture was taken I've upgraded to 1/4" on the rear rack.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-01-19 at 04:03 PM.