Old 09-03-19, 03:36 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I think one of the reasons you're getting unsatisfactory comments is that your bike photo isn't perfect. We like everything to be perfect, you know. The photo isn't level and the bike slants a bit away from the camera, which distorts the bike's proportions. The other thing is that you have what might be called a French fit position. That position usually features a larger frame, which then has less exposed post and the bars much closer to the top of the head tube. With that much exposed threaded stem, the bars are pushed way back toward you, thus you want a longer stem. And thus the bike looks quite odd, not of the proportions we usually see.

It is a bit odd that you have so little standover and yet so much exposed post. Be that as it may, bars level with saddle are not unusual among long distance riders and riders who use the French fit. You could look at photos of pros riding in the 50s and 60s to see similar fits like this one from 1960 TdF:

See what I'm saying? With this fit, everyone mostly rode in the drops, the hoods being so uncomfortable. Thus the bars were set higher with that in mind, and thus the frames were larger to limit the exposed stem. It all worked together. I rode a '62 Legnano which looked very similar to this, complete with chrome and half-step gearing, except my freewheel was a good big larger. This is how the bars and levers are supposed to be set up with this vintage and fit.
Thanks!

I do see. If you forget about frame size for a second, what you are showing in the pic is the same as my bike. Except, switching to mine with a smaller frame, the top tube would be lower with more exposed seat post and bar stem. Right? Except I do not ride only in the drops. I tend to switch my hand position during rides from bar tops to hoods to drops. I do not find that uncomfortable, but then I'm not a long-distance rider. If I'm on the bike a couple of hours, that's a lot.

"This fit features a taller front end (with a larger frame and/or head tube extension and stem), handlebar to saddle drops that are much closer to level, and favors riders who are looking to ease stress on the neck and back, ride as long and as far as they like, and are not concerned with the looking like an aggressive professional. In comparison to the Eddy Fit, the rider has even more weight rearward and a slightly more upright position such that "hands in the drops position" is close to the Competitive Fit's "hands on the hoods position." Some may say that this was not how modern race bikes were "meant" to fit but we have learned that the French Fit's size up tradition works great on the most modern bikes.

By increasing the frame size we raise the bars without radical riser stems and still create balance and proportion with respect to the important knee-to-pedal dynamic. It is important to remember that as frames get larger the top tube effectively shortens. This means that the longer top tube on a larger frame is appropriate because as the bars come "up" and the ratio of saddle to bar drop lessens, the rider achieves a "reach" from the saddle to the handlebars that is just right!"