Old 09-03-19, 11:35 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
It's a nice looking bike and I have seen similarly set up ones. However my main concern with bikes set up that way is the amount of stem inside the steerer and the torque such a tall stem can have.

Just to point out something else. If it were me riding such a set up I'd seriously consider getting bar end shifters as they'd make shifting a lot easier.

Also, if it were me, I'd remove those auxiliary brake levers as that'd greatly improve your braking with the main levers. If you want to be able to brake from the top of the bar then in-line/cyclo-cross brake levers are the best way to go. Then you have positive braking from either the top of the bar or from the main levers. I only mention that because many auxiliary brake levers like you have do NOT have the positive braking required for a panic stop and that section that hooks into the main brake lever reduces the travel of the main brake lever a fair bit.

Cheers
Your concerns of the stem safety seem to be the same as carbonfiberboys. I get the torque thing, but I'm really not concerned. And as far the safety levers, you're right. Panic stopping is not the best. But using the regular levers i could easily eject myself right over the bars. Braking there is pretty solid. At least on my bikes.

Bar end shifters on a C&V bike?!? Sacrilege!!!!! lol