View Single Post
Old 04-15-20, 12:51 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
My standard hub is the DT Swiss 240s. In a centerlock disc version, that’s 126g.
And to be clear, we’re not just talking weight - it’s going to be really a watts/kg number. The dynamos are both heavier and put out considerably lower power without even taking into account the increased power requirements at the crank. There is also the convenience factor - I don’t have to pedal every day for 6 hours or more to get my daily power consumption replaced.
On the weight piece, we’re talking about a difference of about 100g give or take (Close to a wash for all intents and purposes). But for that 100g we get more power generation and that power doesn’t depend on having have the bike in motion.
Well i wasn't looking into standard hubs >200 $ when doing that weight comparison . I agree, that mentioned solar panel/battery combo has advantages and if it does the job good enough on rainy and cloudy days the extra weight is completely irrelevant, so why not use it, especially if you have other use besides bike touring for that battery/powerbank/charger.