Old 11-19-18, 03:16 AM
joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Have done a few 100 mile charity events in the past. I'm going to attempt my 1st 200K this year.
Maybe the Ronkokoma 200; or an event in New Jersey. It's a bit harder to do these events; no car,
family/work schedule, etc. Also; I want to use one of my folders.

2018 FIVE BORO BIKE TOUR by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Go for it! If you can do a century, you can ride 200 km too! The only question is if you can do it in 13 1/2 hours, but for most people fit enough to ride a century that is perfectly doable.

As to riding it on your Bike Friday PakIT or your Brompton, that should not be an issue if both bikes fit you well. For my first four Randonneuring seasons I rode all my brevets on a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket with 20" (ETRTO 451) wheels and my first brevet ever was a 300 km, because I signed up too late in the season (by then the early 200s were already full). Even my first successful 400 km was on the Bike Friday. People have finished PBP on Bike Fridays before.

Most likely you'll have a more limited range of gears on those two bikes than I had on the 3x10 BF Pocket Rocket, but it all depends on your legs and what the route is like. I have since upgraded the BF to 2x11 (Shimano R7000) and have the exact same gear range as on my big bike, the Elephant Bikes NFE, just not as much choice on wider and/or more supple tires.