View Single Post
Old 08-10-17, 11:44 PM
Jay_Dubbya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BB86 GXP mis-represented as BB86

Hey, I'm new here, and I'm hoping to get some outside perspective on how I should approach an issue I ran into today.

I ordered a Fuji Sportif 1.0 from Performance Bike (sorry I can't post hyperlinks yet: but it's item # 31-6807 at perf bike). In the specs it says the bottom bracket is a BB86 and the crankset has 24mm spindles.

I intend to put a Stages power meter onto the bike, so I also ordered a Shimano 105 5800 crankset to replace the Oval (brand, not shape) crankset that comes with the bike. I have done all of this before they received/assembled the bike on the hope that they might give me a slight break on the crankset installation price since the bike would already be in the stand for initial assembly and in order to keep the Oval crankset unused.

As they started assembly they called to tell me the crankset wasn't compatible with the BB. This came as a surprise to me since all the data on the bike said BB86 with the crank having 24mm spindles, which should be a straight swap for a hollowtech crankset as far as I know. Before I did any of the ordering I tried to find specific data on the "Oval 300" crankset online, but I couldn't find any.

I went into the shop to figure out what the deal was and when I asked: "why wouldn't the 105 fit, the bike has a BB86 right?" They said yes, but it's a BB86 GXP with 24-22mm bearings . I wasn't knowledgeable enough at the time to push back or ask too many more intelligent questions, so I just went with with the flow and ordered the $30 BB86 to make everything work. The BB installation will also cost me an extra $10 over just the crankset installation too, so overall this mix-up will cost me $40.

Long story short, should I push back on any of the costs since all the data from Performance Bike shows the bike having a BB86 bottom bracket and not a GXP bottom bracket? Or is this just a totally innocent/understandable mixup on their part? I honestly am pretty annoyed with the situation; not because of the money, but because even now that I'm looking back, I have no idea how I could have possibly known it was a GXP bottom bracket based on the info that is out there. I haven't found one piece of data online to suggest that it has a GXP, so it seems like to me (granted, I'm a total biking newb) that this is purely Performance Bike's fault. And am I crazy to think that the bottom bracket spec is a pretty critical piece of data when buying a bike, so it should probably be represented correctly? I mean, very often it's the top-listed item on a spec sheet (including at performance bike).

Any insight/opinion?

Thanks!