Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Di2: I am finally a Luddite

I've never considered myself a luddite or retro-grouch in regards to cycling. Yes, I greet some new products or standards with a sense of skepticism, but I am open-minded and often won over (other times not). In other words, there are things I do not embrace, but I think I can usually explain my reasons, at least in terms of why they do not work for ME.

Then came Di2 shifting.

It just feels plain wrong to me. At first I tried to explain this with the same reasons I see other people reject it (battery life, can't fix it, too expensive, etc.). But the more I learned about it, I realize it probably DOES perform just fine, maybe even better, and has other advantages, and in reality the battery issue is a non-issue. But I still find myself recoiling at the thought of having it on one of my bikes. And price is not the issue, either. I don't think I would use it even if you gave it to me.

And then I realized, it is simple as the fact that I don't want electronic stuff (in particular anything with a computer in it) integrated into my bike. I don't care if it works better (and it probably does). It goes against a key part of what I love so much about bikes, which is the "analog" and "mechanical" purity of them. They may be incredibly complex (like my full suspension mtb), but all mechanical nonetheless. And it just feels wrong to me to screw that up.

And THEN I realized, this is what it means to be a Luddite. To reject something that is probably better based on nothing more than my gut reaction that a certain technology is out of place.

Of course, as long as decent mechanical shifting remains available - and pretty much anything above wal-mart level drivetrains made in the past 15 years shift flawlessly in my experience - I'm fine with Di2 being pushed. Just not my cup of tea.

I think the key to being a happy Luddite who does not irritate everyone around you is realizing that you are, in fact, a Luddite. The moment you start trying to justify it logically is when you become the old-man yelling at the clouds.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-20-18 at 03:26 PM.