View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 11:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I'm not a luddite. I love digital technology and lots of other things that are new. I make my living as an IT person.

But there are some worlds where I don't want digital electronics. My preference is to keep it out of my musical life. I'm a semi-professional singer. I rehearse three hours a week and perform a few times a year. I use sheet music on paper, and I use the kind of pencil that needs sharpening. I have not learned any scoring software, and I have not digitized any of my music. When I'm making music, I use a different part of my brain, and that part was developed before I ever saw a computer. It gives me a rest in a way. I like being a pencil and paper guy three hours a week.

I tried my sister in law's bike with Di2. It works great. I own lots of bikes, and all of them are old. I'm not close to buying a new bike. If I were to buy a new bike, and if it were to come with electronic shifting, and if it doesn't add unreasonable cost, I wouldn't mind. But right now, it's very expensive and not worth it for me.

I understand the preference that @Kapusta and others have, wanting to keep digital stuff out of the bike realm.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.