View Single Post
Old 01-23-19, 08:33 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I went ahead and deleted my post with the Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator Chart since it was incorrect. Best not to confuse folks with the wrong information.
I went then back and corrected the middle ring size, 34->32. Apologies for the initial incorrect info.

Ahhhhh! A clean transmission is always appreciated by changing gears! Glad this solved many of your shifting issues.
I am usually bad as far as cleanliness of the drivetrain is concerned and may be this was a lesson that should be absorbed.

I wonder if the "skating" could be solved by a new chain? You don't mention what brand or speed chain you are currently using (at least I couldn't find this with the search function). I did see where you speculate that it would be best to stick to a 9 speed or lower chain. It would seem to me that if you are using 10 and 11 speed sprockets, a matched chain would be essential to better shifting performance. I'm with you that I wouldn't want to shell out the $$$ for an 11 speed chain. But consider trying a new 9 or 10 speed SRAM or KMC chain.
Following @berlinonaut I got myself a 10-speed chain for this project, i.e. the issue is not the width of the chain. This has been my first venture into 10-speed components and I am glad to see how inexpensive they have become.

I am not sure where the skating comes from. It could be e.g. the chain getting pushed over by the front derailleur onto the chainguard or interaction between the pulley wheels that close to each other and lift the chain to go between cogs. Sometimes such things emerge only when the chain is operated under tension and are not easy to see on the stand. It may need to wait until the weekend when I can work on the bike during daylight.

This is how I clean my chains: Remove and wipe thoroughly with a WD40 soaked rag. Next, I scrub mine in hot soapy Dawn dish detergent, followed by 1/2 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner with a Branson MC-3/hot water degreaser solution. After a complete rinsing in hot water it goes in the over at 200F for at least a 1/2 hour. As soon as I remove it from the oven I lube each link with warm ChainL oil.
I also use an ultrasonic cleaner, but put Simple Green there. I will check what Branson MC-3 is. I use my own mixture for lubing, competing with ChainL and providing a protection under the rough weather conditions we commonly have.