Old 05-26-20, 09:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I just set up the REI Passage-1 in the back yard.

I picked up this same tent and a heavily discounted Klymit sleeping pad in preparation for this years summer, before the end of the world happened. Last year I gave touring a try and took a Kelty 2 person Gundison, and a lightish Thermarest pad. I was very comfortable but they added to the general overloading of my bike. I didn't get too analytical, but purchasing a solo tent and an a air mattress let me drop significant volume and at least 2 pounds off my "pack weight" for under $200, and they are not completely redundant to my other gear. My touring options right now limit me to state campgrounds so a tent is kind of necessary for privacy, and a simple free standing tent is preferable when setting up when exhausted, in the dark with inclement weather.

I've been hanging food successfully (KOW) for ever, in Black, Brown and a little bit of Grizzly country, but would like to try running a couple of smaller bear cans while bike touring to simplify camp life. I'm not sure how these cans will discourage squirrels and mice though.

I have a lockable bike cover that goes over the bike at night and when untended. I've zip tied the panniers to the bike and have a lot of gear in stuff sacks so valuables, come out every night and go in the tent. The cover is also a good multi use item as a ground cover or quick tarp bothy bag if a storm hits.

Here's a campsite from last year.

Last edited by bark_eater; 05-26-20 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For bark_eater: