3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Because the left arm is a separate piece attached to the spindle with bolts. The right arm/chainrings are all one piece with the spindle. Or welded maybe.
...OK, I get it now. Damn new fangled technology. *ptoo*

Originally Posted by RubeRad
That's exactly it. When I stand with kneecaps forward, my toes point out. If I twist my feet so they point forward, my kneecaps point in. Before I got pedal extenders, I nearly crippled myself trying to ride with my feet rotated in, had to drop out of a group ride and hobble home pedaling with just one foot the pain was so bad. (Fortunately a couple days rest and some IT band work got me back with no permanent damage).

However, I have read in the book Supple Leopard, that for most people, out-turned feet is not an inborn, inherent trait, but a symptom of a lifetime of lazy posture and incorrect body mechanics. I do not doubt that at all, and if you have links for 'this whole art and science to adapting your own unique foot anatomy to the pedals that connect you to the bike' I would love to read about it.
...this body mechanics stuff is all over the internet. I've devoted a good part of my life in working at it, in order to salvage what I can after a lifetime of earning a living with my body in less than ideal circumstances. With out turned toes, generally what is going on in most cases is some shortening and tightness of the ligaments and muscles in the ankles, but probably also the hips. Knees, unless injured or other wise deformed, usually don't contribute to this sort of problem. But honestly your best bet is to either find a professional podiatrist who works in sports specifically, or maybe find an enlightened yoga teacher who can start you in some direction for gradually stritching out some of the stuff that is causing you to toe out. One of the many jobs I had before I went gubb'mint was as a farrier. It's a problem for many horses as well. Horses don't take well to yoga, so we used to custom make corrective shoes for them. Think orthopedic shoes for horses, and you have an idea of it.

Tai Chi is also helpful, but not without the stretching. If you just jump into some kind of movement exercise cold, you'll just reinforce your existing bad habits of movement