Old 06-30-20, 01:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...the Iyengar yoga people are big on standing poses. I grew up much like you, with my toes pointing out and always wearing my shoes out on the outside surfaces of the soles and heels. It wasn't until I started running seriously in my late 20's and had to deal with the problems I encountered from that, that I started down the long road of body mechanics and movement. (Yes, I know running is stupid. But many of us need to learn the hard way.)

If I could give you just one reference, I would. Unfortunately, movement and posture are remarkably resistant to correction through self study. My experience is that it is worth the time and money to seek out someone who actually has some experience and knowledge in this area. (And sadly, not everyone who hangs out a shingle knows what he's talking about.)

Very generally, tightness in the hips and groin,, that has developed over a lifetime of improper habit, translates into rotating the knees and feet outward, But just like with horses, you have to correct it gradually. Usually over a period of months and years. Just the way it is. But the yoga is good for you in so many other ways as well that, for me at least, it was worth the investment in time and money. You don't really figure out how badly distorted you are in some places until you are in a situation where someone with broad experience can show you what "normal" is.

Meanwhile, stufff like yoga classes are a thing of the past for now. So if you do want to work on it, try searching for Youtube videos using search terms like "yoga to correct duck feet" and "yoga to correct pronation/supination".

Good luck with this, and be patient, but persistent. Sometimes it takes a while to have an awareness breakthrough. Pain usually focuses the awareness in most people.