Old 06-04-20, 01:32 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelman54
For a great intro on all things bicycle I'd suggest you look at Lennard Zinn's bicycle maintenace book, any edition will be fine for a 40 year old Motobecane. This will show you just about all options. You Tube of course can help also.
I've bought the Leonard Zinn book on eBay

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Start by making sure everything's tight.

Sometimes you can isolate noises by stressing each part as individually as possible.

For instance, standing next to the bike, squeezing both brakes, and the pedal at "3-oclock" step hard on the pedal, release, step hard again.

Repeat on the other side.

Also, when you notice it while riding, pay close attention to what type of effort causes it
I just performed your test! no doubt something is loose or wrong. A high pitched nock sound, only once as I move alternately from one side to the other. I can also feel the movement,,, the slack. Is there a way to tighten this up externally without taking the crank a part ? Just till I get the tools to do the job It's a very good test, thank you homebrew,

Originally Posted by steve sumner
pics are not good but I could tell that it's a 5-pin crank so it is either TA

or Stronglight. if the year is late enough the extractor threads will be standard

22mm but if earlier it would be 23mm and 23.35 respectively. closely measure

the threads b4 buying the tool(crank puller/extractor)

also noticed a Huret Jubile cable guide (the most elegant one ever)
Steve It is a Stronglight and late 70's father bought it in 1978. Important to know as to what tools I will need ? Mainly the extractor? The nice tools at a reasonable price recommended here in this post ,,by park tool seemed respected. I looked on eBay for others and the secondhand ones are about the same price as the new one why is that? Has the quality staid the same? So many things are going down in quality I could get an older one( extractor) as someone stated I could try using something good I have in the house , I have some good tool but I want the job to go as smoothly a possable for the pleasure of it, and not nicking up me or the bike . By the way are there other type of bike jobs one can complete with these same tools?

Next I am going to go non-cage and want very good bearing what do you recommend please, and how many ?

By for now , cheers.

Originally Posted by Fissile
When you finish servicing the BB, put some anti-seize on the axle flats before reinstalling the crank arms. I can't tell you how many creaky-weaky noises I've made disappear with a liberal application of anti-sieze.
where are the axle flats ? and thanks .

And thanks to all that are continuing to give me advice .