Old 10-18-17, 03:28 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Gotta say that if you have that many pinch flats, you are doing something wrong. It sounds like you are still doing something wrong since your wheel "bottoms out" on impacts. While the air in the tire has some connection to comfort, it is also there to protect the wheel. Bottoming out enough times to count your pinch flats as 90% of your flats says to me that you are asking too much of your tires and not enough of the rider.

Pump your tires up! Use your legs and arms to suspend the load on the bike, especially during impacts. Quit riding like a sack of potatoes in the saddle! Your wheels will thank you for it.
That is one option, given your assumptions.

In reality, I'm a pretty aggressive rider - riding a road or CX bike like it was a mountain bike. Sometimes I hit hard bumps that are more than 1" deep. at 20+mph in traffic, I'm gonna hit some potholes (rather that than a car). As for using arms and legs - well it those occasions often involve catching air, so I'm not exactly a "sack of potatoes". LOL! I don't baby my bike.

I didn't get a lot of pinch flats (its not "that many pinch flats"), its just that with the tires I'm using, it is unusual to get something through the tread. The tread can get pretty sliced up, but its unusual for me to actually get a puncture.

But yeah, pinch flats don't exist when you roll tubeless.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It's bad form to taunt the flat fairies ...
I know right??? And its time for my commute home...