View Single Post
Old 10-19-17, 03:55 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
cyccommute, dude, you crack me up. You are making a lot of assumptions in order to prove your point. What you are saying is correct, they just don't apply to the cyclist you are talking to. Maybe it wasn't clear in my first post, but I go years between flats. If you want to lecture someone work with someone who actually gets flats.
You are the one who said that "90% of my flats were pinch flats." I have flatted more than my share of tires but pinch flats are a rounding error in the grand scheme of things. Out of the thousands of flats I've experienced, I can count on one hand the number that have been pinch flats and I know precisely why I got each one...they were all related to other punctures which were usually caused by goat heads that were slow leakers and some cluelessness on my part.
Even when mountain biking, pinch flats have been mostly nonexistent for me...they still count towards that one handed count...and, again, they are related to other punctures.

You are the one who brought it up and you are the one who also said you "still cringe when the wheel bottoms out". That sounds like a systemic problem as are most pinch flats. Tubeless isn't a fix to that problem if you continue to bottom out on impacts.

The other flats that people get are random events...even with goatheads...that really can't be prevented 100% of the time. Even tubeless is not invulnerable. Pinch flats, on the other hand, aren't as random and can most certainly be protected against.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!