View Single Post
Old 05-25-19, 10:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Stay in long enough, and you will come to recognize that pretty much every internet forum is the same. Why wouldn't it be?

The posts are (mostly) made by people, and while there are a whole lot of those, there aren't really that many unique types.

So regardless of the pursuit, every forum will be populated by a series of tropes: the internet tough guy, the guy who only makes snarky/witty remarks, the guy yelling to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, the guy constantly driving up his post count, etc....

Internet forums are like a sociological experiment conducted by no one. I often wonder how the online persona meshes with the real-world person.

I met a fellow BF member in person for the first time a few years ago, and he made a remark something along the lines of, "You know, you're exactly what I imagined from your posts."

I still have no idea if that was intended as a compliment, but I absolutely took it as one. I wouldn't post anything here I wouldn't say aloud to anyone. Some other members? I don't think the same would be true.
I have posted (link) about meeting other members of BF face to face, but here is one I would not want to meet:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
In 2013, I got involved in one of the most hostile brouhahas I have ever read on BikeForums…about paragraphs! My adversary shall remain nameless.

On a now-closed thread ["How Do You Communicate on Forums vs Face-to-Face"]in a reply to a long, unbroken post I wrote:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Paragraphs, please.

PS: I did read your post, in its entirety.
Originally Posted by xxx
I wouldn't spend near as much time with you in person, let alone stop for paragraphs. ****, I might even let go of punctuation in person, except when you feel the heel of my boot hit your chin
Complete with a graphic illustration.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 10:19 AM.