genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I have tried different mirrors over the years. Handlebar mounted mirrors vibrate a lot. I do like the Original Mirrcycle Mirror that mounts on the brake lever of non-aero brake levers. It's a solid mirror and easily seen into from most every angle. I put one on both brake levers so that I can see what's behind me on the right ans well as in turns.

I've use the Take-a-look mirror and I generally like it as long as it's mounted on either my eyeglasses or on my sunglasses. I did try mounting it on the side of the visor of my helmet per the Take-a-look instructions but found it vibrated too much for me. To get the Take-a-look mirror to work best for me did require me to bend t he "stalk" of the mirror a bit. I find the Take-a-look mirror to be useful. It does take some getting used to seeing things in sharp focus in the mirror and other things slightly out of focus elsewhere. However, since I just glance into the mirror most times using it I have no problem with that.

My favourite mirror is one that mounts onto my helmet. Sorry but i don't recall the brand name. It has a ball and socket piece that attaches to the helmet and also the mirror has a ball that snaps into the adjustable for length arm of the mirror mount. That mirror is fantastic. The only way it could be improved in my opinion is if the ball and the socket of the mirror attachment were a bit bigger.

I did NOT like any of the bar-end mirrors I tried on drop-bars. I found that most of the time my arm blocked my view of the mirror and also that I had to take my eyes off the road to look down at the mirror. I don't like doing that in heavy traffic which is why I far prefer the helmet mirror in the image above or as second choice a Take-a-look glasses mounted mirror. To me it's important to be able to see ahead as well as into the mirror at the same time.

Oh, Take-a-look mirrors can be had with different stalk lengths. Mine are the original short ones.

Cheers
For me, it turns out the stalk needs to be about 15 inches for my focal point.

The adhesive failed on that mirror within 3 weeks.

Yeah, I could have found a substitute attachment... but the focal point issue rendered it useless.

It serves a desk job these days, while I use a velcro on bar end mirror.

Bottom line... find what works for you.