Old 01-23-20, 06:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Goggles fine, but now glasses fog...
Originally Posted by AstroEng
I've been reading a lot of threads here looking for anti-fogging solutions. I'm ordering Catcrap to try that, but I'm looking for other solutions.

I just finally broke down and got OTG Ski Goggles to replace my visorgogs. The Ski Goggles themselves work great - not a trace of fog. However, after about the 2 mi point, when I start to warm up, my glasses fog like crazy.

I even tried removing my balaclava to make sure that wasn't the problem. I guess it is from the heat and humidity from my face.

Suggestions? Most of what I have found is defog one or the other, not glasses under goggles. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, the visorgogs work ok. My balaclava let's too much air go upward and the fog up. However, because they are relatively open, I can turn my head a little to induce a cross breeze. This is also part of my issue with them:

I don't ride below 0F because they let in too much air and I'm worried about frostbite on the exposed skin. Hence I bought the goggles...
​​​​​​​FWIW, see my perennial post with further discussion:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perennially post about my winter eyewear for my 14 mile year-round commute, from about 35° down to as low as 0°. I must wear my prescription eyeglasses, and fogging is one of the worst dangers of winter riding. I am entirely satisfied with my system:…

I realize now that my goggles and face mask are actually an integrated system of heating and ventilation that keeps my face warm and my vision unencumbered by fogging...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
IME, and from reading numerous posts on the subject, there are three basic methods for preventing fogging, caused by exhaled moist air onto the cold surface of the eyeglasses and goggles:...

3. Antifogging agents, like Cat Crap, soap, spit etc.: I find that when exhaling forcefully, and colder temperatures, say under 20° F, those agents can be overcome. That’s why I suggest
that any recommendations for winter riding include description of the conditions in which they are employed, i.e. lowest temperature and distance

I’m not trying to be contrarian about any methods used, but I am zealous because fogging is a difficult and dangerous challenge to winter riding, and would keep me off the bike for about 3 to 4 months during the year. Every year there are many threads on about the problem.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-23-20 at 07:19 AM.