View Single Post
Old 05-14-20, 10:01 AM
eagletree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I use both Rouvy and Strava and sync them. Even with that much information, I still find both lack something so basic that I'm not sure how they missed it. They don't have a daily roll-up or view of all data, only miles, time and elevation. I would enjoy totals and averages of power, kj/calories, cadence on a daily basis since I do morning and evening rides. But, aside from that, I really enjoy having the information because that is why I ride. Those metrics are my motivation.

The OP mentioned that not being familiar with segments, but I find those to be the most useful in determining improvement. There are options to create your own if you ride where none exist. Then you can pick parts of a route you ride, and mark it off as a segment. This allows you to have some great control over the metrics you get back each time you move through that segment. Now I'm saying that, presuming you monitor GPS, power, HRM, cadence, and speed as I don't know how useful it would be without those. The segment can be a personal growth tool without it being competitive. I don't think it's totally relevant to measure yourself against others since that is just measuring genetics and environmental training, though it is interesting in a statistical sense within age groups. What is very relevant is using goals on segments and measuring against self. I'm starting to realize when I do that, that I can be focusing on technique improvements and not attempting to always do my all-out best on a PR, but rather establish a baseline and play with the variables. Wind factor was mentioned. It makes the same segment a different segment on a different day and destroys any consistency. I found that in winter, may as well have been on a different road and segment on a windy day. Comparisons weren't useful.