Old 09-17-20, 08:52 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
I have a hard time getting my knickers into a twist over this, though I did go from thinking "Wow---cool!" when I first read about it to "Meh." And if they're blowing smoke about the actual frame tubing being used, that definitely sucks.

What I'm left with is feeling that paying $2k for a replica frame that isn't a great replica, and is built in Taiwan i/o England, isn't a great value. If I had $2k to blow on a new frame, I'd rather give it to Mercian and get a custom lightweight SBDU clone, or give it to Bob Jackson and get the same thing, with money left over for parts. Or to Kevin Sayles, who in his 70s is going independent after decades building for the high-end British marques. Get an actual British frame.

Or spend the $2k, hopefully less, on an actual vintage SBDU frame in my size. They don't pop up all that often, but I could've bought a couple over the past couple of years if I had the desire and the jingle.

Or see if somebody cool in my home country could build me something similar, for similar $$$. How far would $2k get you at Waterford?